Tuesday, January 6, 2009

'07 Alamos Malbec - $9.99


Malbec's story is a pretty awesome one in the world of wine. From a blending grape used only in Bordeaux to make some of the most famous wines in the world it has made its way across the ocean to Argentina and taken on a whole new life. I like wines that can really speak to a culture of the place they were grown. Napa Valley has cabs, Russian River in Sonoma has Pinots and Chards, South Africa has Pinotage, Australia has Shiraz, and Argentina has Malbec.

The Alamos brand is the newest new world wine to be added to the Gallo family of brands. For 10 bucks I thought it was a great buy, even though tasting it showed just how much more I have to expand and train my wine palate. I was immediately stoked to taste coffee in the Malbec, while nearly everyone else at the party tasted figs. Tasting notes at BevMo reveal that they got a big 'ol fig on the nose show me that I still have a lot to learn. Everyone says you have to trust your palate, but sometimes you just haven't eaten enough figs. Something I need to do a lot more of. Otherwise it was a perfect representation of Malbec; earthy, spicy with good fruit. Some nice artwork on the label and I'm eager to see Gallo introduce this into more grocery chains to give Argentina some play.

No comments:

Post a Comment